Addicted to each other

Fundae's Ice Cream recently opened next door to my alcohol-free bottle shop in the Village of WestClay in Carmel. As a result, I now have the questionable habit of buying ice cream whenever I'm in the neighborhood. Their ice cream is so good that I've already earned free scoops through their loyalty program. 

Watching a steady stream of young people come and go from Fundae's has been fascinating. Kas, the owner, captured the photo below on a warm Sunday afternoon, and something about the image touches my heart. It could be nostalgia. I have many great memories of riding my bike with friends to Bresler's Ice Cream (now long gone) at 126th Street and Gray Road. But could the photo represent something bigger?


Screen time for young people has recently resurfaced as a hot-button issue in mainstream media*, and I don't pretend to have the answers. Technology and social media scholar danah boyd writes in her book it’s complicated:
Most teens aren’t addicted to social media; if anything, they’re addicted to each other.

It's easy for people my age to sit back and criticize what we perceive as kids' and teens' overuse of technology. I'm guilty of it, too. 🙋🏻‍♀️  But what if we reframed the story? NPR Education Reporter Anya Kamenetz challenges us to not be so judgmental the next time we see kids playing on phones at a restaurant dinner table. In her book The Art of Screen Time, she points out that we don't always know the context. It could be the only time those kids have touched a screen all day, or a parent might be hanging on by a thread. We simply don't know. 

Regarding the photo, I like to think that the ice cream trip with friends was the highlight of their day. And that given the choice between devices and time with friends, kids will always pick friends.

An abundance of rubrics and frameworks exist to help teachers implement technology in the classroom. These documents are nice, but perhaps the number one guiding question should be, "Does this learning experience allow kids to learn from or with their friends?" Because I have to agree—they are, indeed, addicted to each other.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this topic. Comment below.

Kristin Patrick, Blended Learning Coach

Get Tech Out of the Classroom Before It's Too Late, New York Times Opinion, April 10, The Consequences of Smartphone-Centered Classroom, NPR Morning Edition, March 28


graphic from Anya Kamenetz


Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more. We don't give our kids enough credit. I am confident that we are raising the most compassionate, empathetic and socially-aware group of kids this world has ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. We don't give our kids enough credit. I am confident that we are raising the most compassionate, empathetic and socially-aware group of kids this world has ever seen.

    *I didn't mean to comment anonymously above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💯 I think you're right. We don't give our kids enough credit!

      Delete
    2. I agree Stephanie! I am so proud of the upcoming leaders being raised!

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with not knowing the context. People can be quick to judge but don't know what is going on behind the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I catch myself doing it! trying to retrain my brain!

      Delete
  4. Love this so much! I think back to how much time I spent on the telephone with my friends-- HOURS! I lived out in the country so that was my only contact them after school. It's not really that different (aside from my grandma being mad about the busy signal!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the long cord! and I remember when call waiting became a thing! then there was the era of phone v. internet. good times

      Delete
  5. YES! I agree. My teens will ALWAYS pick their friends over screens. I also think that their screens are how their generation (especially pre-drivers) chooses to be present with each other. Screens have helped my kids to be far more educated about the world around them and how to implement positive change than I ever was at their age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you put that -- yes! screens are how they choose to be present with each other. Thank you for sharing, Crissy!

      Delete
  6. You are so right! And thank YOU for sharing and helping me see the different perspective! As a parent of a teen (and 3 young adults), I have watched the transition from running home to email chat their friends, playing xbox on line with friends, to being socially connected through their iphone. I am going to work on retraining my brain (so I am not quick to judge), and continue hoping someday my kids will choose to be this present with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s funny you talk about context. My daughter is an avid reader and writer. Most times when I have grumped at her for being on screens over the years, she was growing her mind, vocabulary, and thinking. She was honing her craft, with which she has literally paid for college! And all the while I was assuming she was being a lazy teenager, mindlessly wasting time—as I scroll through Facebook laughing at clips of cats being scared by cucumbers…

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment